We have all been there. How disappointing is it when your favorite We Ride By Train T-shirt becomes faded, shrunk, ripped in the wash, or just plain looked raggedy? Here are 5 tricks you can use to keep your favorite T-shirts looking brand new for years to come:
1. Hand wash the shirt in cold water – Commercial washers are damaging to many t-shirts because the designs are usually silk screened or printed on and the rough treatment that the shirt gets inside a commercial washer destroys the delicate printing. If you hand wash the shirt in cold water with a mild detergent the design will stay looking new and won’t flake, peel or fade.
2. Never put a T-shirt in the dryer – Dryers cause the death of millions of T shirts every year. Even on a low temperature setting commercial dryers can cause T shirts to shrink and the printing to crack and peel off. Always line dry your T-shirts instead of putting them in the dryer.
3. Turn your T-shirts inside out- If you must wash your T-shirts in a commercial washer then you should turn them inside out before you put them in the wash. This will protect the design and printing on the T-shirt from the agitator of the washing machine. Even if you wash the shirt in a commercial washer you should still not put it in the dryer.
4. Splurge on good detergent- When it comes to protecting your clothes not all laundry soaps are created equal. To keep your T-shirts looking as good as possible use high quality detergents that are gentle. Don’t use bleach. If your T shirts are dark use laundry soap that is made for dark clothing.
5. Use a mesh bag – If you have one or two favorite t-shirts that you really don’t want to get faded or ruined in the wash you can buy a special mesh bag that is made for washing lingerie in the commercial washer and use that to wash your T-shirts. It will protect your shirts really well in the washer, but make sure to line dry them afterward.
Leave a Reply.
We Ride By Train is a lifestyle brand with railroad and freight inspired clothing and videos.